Tuesday, June 24, 2014

SHOTS…THOUGH THE LIVES OF MY SONS

Sometimes it seems like time has taken up hyper-speed in my life with my sons. Events of many years ago evoke emotion like it was yesterday.  This is one way for me to capture lots of event in their lives like a time capsule, if you will...in terms of "Shots"



Shots
The first ones ever
Those necessary evil needles
Piercing your skins
As your cries do likewise to the air
And my insides melt
With each yelp

Shot
My nerves are, that is
From utter exhaustion
Night feedings
Your energy as you move like a
Well…a Shot!

Shots
The hold-my-breath
Hope he makes it into the basket kind
Or into the net
Standing around pool tables
With little to offer
In the way of skill
Though a wealth of stadium cheers
Well inside me
Whether victory or defeat
Cheering cheering cheering you on


Shots
The low blow kind
Wasted words on me
Whose love cannot be
Diminished
With wanton ways
Slanderous sayings
Who’ll by no means be
Rejected, ejected
From you three

Shots
Fired at a local high school
How is it that I remained standing
When I lost my legs
That day
And couldn't answer your,
“Mom, what happened?”
And did not exhale until
We sat in Asian Bistro
With your appetite intact
Intellect intact
Bright, brilliant, brown eyes
Making fun of the kid
Who peed out the window

Shots
The Rite of Passage
Alcohol kind
Downed in haste
With no thought
Of disgrace
Landing flat on your ass
Falling flat on your face

Shots
Picturesque
Witty
Whimsical
Wild
Expansive
Expressive
Wow’ed by your talent
Your inspired eye

Shots
Unflinchingly
Facing the future
Dauntlessly dancing
Free
From constraint
From complacency
From expectation
I sit in the stands
Clapping madly
Though the finish line
Is nowhere in sight






No comments:

Post a Comment